Friday, April 19, 2013


Okay, so I finished the necklace last night and I learned a few things:
1) Just because someone says "use fixative spray to set" does NOT mean it works for everything (or else I just have a very heavy hand and don't know it)
2) I will, from now on, let "permanent" marker ink cure/set for 24 hours, then rub it with Renaissance Wax to "fix" it in place.

Honestly, I followed directions on the can for the fixative. I even let it dry for 20 minutes instead of the 15 required. Then, I do what I always do to be sure, I rubbed my thumb (rather hard) over the surface and the "permanent" marker that had just been "fixed" by the spray came off on my thumb.


Out comes the Renaissance Wax and to (careful) work I go. In a short time, not only is the whole thing coated, but none of the marker ink came off during the process or after a few hard rubs of the thumb. Since it has in the past, I attribute this to letting the ink set overnight (NOT the "fixative").  As a test, I inked up four more hammered washers and left them overnight.  I plan to test them by waxing one (carefully) and seeing if the ink stays put. If so, yay. If not, then it's a combo of the "fixative" and the wax. Fun.

Anyway, here's the finished necklace:
Full view - haven't decided on a title, yet.
Free form carnelian pendent & heat treated red aventurine
squares are from  Marble composite circles
are from Michael's, donut focal is a (former) washer from Lowe's
and the clasp is from the button aisle at Joanne's Craft Store.
Closer look at the beads

Closer look at the focal....
...and at the clasp.
I had no real design in mind when I started this. I just hammered away at the washer to start with. When it was done, and I recalled I need to finish some designs for ZNet Shows, I just felt drawn to the ruddy red-ish, orange-ish color in the carnelian and aventurine. It didn't seem like enough, though, so I dug through my stash until I found the marble composite beads. They're a pink-ish white/cream color with the ruddy red-ish, orange-ish color of the ZNet beads.  It was perfect, and their shape echoed the chain and washer.  I'll be sending a photo of the design to Bill Zhang shortly.  I have more designs to work on, but I don't want him to think I'm not working with the gorgeous beads he's sent me.

Now, moving on slightly, I also tried my hand at turning my Fishes & Loaves earring series into a bracelet. It worked, and it didn't. Here's the (mostly) finished product:

I got the five beads on for the loaves, four wired to the bracelet and one as a dangle by the fish's tail but I was only able to get one fish (the clasp).  I need to find a way to add the second fish or it won't be right.  I'm also a little worried that there are "snag" trap areas so I think it requires a bit more tweaking. I plan to wear it a few times with various outfits to see if it does snag.  Any suggestion will be gratefully received and, likely, tested out.  All in all, not completely disappointed in this for a first attempt. Will be checking the tutes I've pinned and bookmarked for bracelet making to see what I can tweak.

And now, off to email Bill.


  1. I think your necklace is beautiful - and your wire work.
    I always enjoy your posts.
    Just to let you know... I started two projects from your past two inspirations- but of course, here they sit - not even close to being done.

    I thought these were interesting posts about a sealant and permanent markers and wanted to share them with you.

  2. This is a beautiful piece. That said, I just want to tell you that on of the reasons I follow your blog is that you tell us, from time to time about your struggles or mishaps. I think it's important for others to know that their more successful contemporaries do, on occasion, have to struggle. I was feeling really lowdown because I had struggled with a necklace off and on all afternoon. I restrung it 5 times. I spent more than an hour trying to figure out how to make a bale that didn't "clash" with the markings on the focal piece. THEN.......I struggled with a clasp that didn't mess up the whole design. I finally got it all together but was feeling woefully inadequate. It helps me to know that other people do not produce those perfect pieces in one shot. Thanks!!!