Translate

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Flapping Chickens And Soaring Eagles

Great Aunt Gertie's Garters, I'm gonna go crazy(-er than normal)!

Our church is hosting our annual Ladies Retreat and the theme this year is Flapping Chickens & Soaring Eagles.  Now, those of you who read your Bible are, I'm sure, familiar with the verse in the book of Isaiah that says "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles," but I'm not familiar with anywhere in the Bible that mentions chickens, flapping or otherwise. Are you? Anyone? No? Well, it's usually Saner Sister that comes up with our themes and I'm not sure if it's due to a moment of being "infected" by my Crazy virus, a desire to see if she can stump our guest speaker, or just a reeeeeeally warped sense of humor, but they all are doozies! (maybe a little of all three?)

Any-hoo! We usually have several door prizes to give away as well as some sort of theme-centered gift that we give each lady. This year, Saner Sister has decided to make use of my jewelry making skills and have me create earrings with beads she found on Fire Mountain Gems. I'll be the first to admit they're adorable but I wish she'd given me more time.  What? Oh! Well, our Ladies Retreat is NEXT. WEEK!  That's right, Friday & Saturday, the 18th & 19th.  I have to make FORTY-TWO (that's 42!) pairs of earrings by then. I haven't even managed to locate my Muse, let-alone duct tape her to a wall in my craft room yet and Saner Sister wants earrings?!?  Well, I can do it.  I will do it! Again, though, I just wish I had more time.  We ordered the beads last night and made it 2-3 day shipping so they should (I hope!) get here no later than Saturday. Plus getting the ear wires, head pins and any li'l extras that I may not have to hand to spice them up. That gives me a week to get them done. (AAAAHHH! PRESSURE!!!  ... well, I do work better under a deadline that's looming, so these earrings should totally rock!)

Oh, the beads?  Here's a pic of what they look like:


Yes! They're chickens! How cute is that!?
Saner Sister found them on this page of FMG.
So, that's going to be my weekend and next week. I have a feeling I'm going to feel like those flapping chickens before I'm done rather than a soaring eagle (~snerk~).

And, what are your plans?

2 comments:

  1. Breathe. lol Take it in steps. Instead of finding 'little extras to spice them up', why don't you just spice up your ear wires? Add a pretty little crystal or seed bead or something to each ear wire. If they're premade, you can still do it... just carefully bend the curve enough that you can slip the ball or coil or whatever they have already in place, and slip your own decoration on. Then just use a small spacer bead on your headpin, slip the chicken on, then attach it to the ear wire ( the flat metal ones will probably be best since it'll hide) not that you will... far to simple and easy... and boring... time constraints aside, you KNOW you'll feel that need to make them all special and MORE ;) lol good luck ! And make sure every pair is accompanied by your card or website addie so they can come back for more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! They look like coffee ice cream with marshmallow chocolate syrup swirl. With a beak.

    Can't wait to see what you cook up with these cuties!

    ReplyDelete