Translate

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Keeping the Muse Satisfied


So, I didn't get to play with my poly-clay this weekend. Too much was going on for me to be abl to do it. HOWsomeEVER!  Last night I was able to play with my wire.  Yes, my fellow Crazy Creators, I have made my first ever fibula!  I am SO proud of me right now, I could bust!!

So! I used the bottom of one of my tool holding buckets to create the initial circular shape, then smoothed the shape slightly with my nylon jawed bracelet forming plyers, then hand tightened the circle. I wire wrapped some faceted, Tanzenite colored crystals to the circle, then created the pin and attached more beads. The pin is (it's been suggested) too long so I have plans to lop off about 1/4" and refile the point. Other than that, I'm happy with it.

Now, why did I choose the beads, etc. that I did? Well, there's a story.  I have a series of jewelry called my "Fishes & Loaves" line that is taken from the story in the Bible where Jesus fed the 5,000 with a little boy's donated lunch of five loaves of bread and two small fish. In the past this has mostly been fish-shaped earrings with five beads (3 on one fish & 2 on the other), a couple of bracelets with the fish motif and five beads wired on, and at least one necklace with the fish & beads (which I loved!). This time, I wanted to finish the story. See, after everyone had been fed, Jesus told His disciples to take up the leftovers. They returned with twelve full baskets. Bet that little boy's momma was shocked! (yes, I believe it went to the boy... after all, it was his lunch given to Jesus to use... why wouldn't Jesus reward his generosity?) ANYway, you'll see there's 5 small, purple round beads and two tiny fish on the straight pin. There's the fish & loaves. If you count, you'll find there are 12 beads on the main portion of the fibula... they represent the 12 baskets of leftovers taken up.  The end of the story (as it were).

I'm sure this will evolve in other ways (already have an idea or two) so keep watching.  After all, my Muse is speaking to me, I must keep her happy!

1 comment:

  1. I've also been having problems trying to get the time to play with my clay so I can empathize, but your story shows that we who create WILL find a way to make something! s Glad you got to play with your wire. You did a great job and I love the idea for your "series". The little "fish" are adorable.

    ReplyDelete